Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Cuba - Cayo Coco - Feb 27 to Mar 6, 2018 - Part 1

We went to Cayo Coco for a winter break from Feb 27 to Mar 6, 2018.  Joe did the research and decided where we would go.  He chose this location as Cayo Coco is well known for its birds.  So this was the main attraction for Joe.  I'm good with sun, sand, beach and pool, which it also has.  We stayed at the Melia Cayo Coco, reputed to be one of the better resorts in Cayo Coco.  It was very nice. 

A hurricane ripped through here back in Sept.  The area is still recovering.  Our resort was not at full capacity and I think some of the usual services were not available.  But they are working hard to get it to 100%.

Joe went out on a birding tour one day with a professional guide then all the other days he went off on his own so he hiked around a lot of the area surrounding our hotel.  I stayed on the resort and just enjoyed being lazy, swimming, snorkeling, reading a few books - things I don't do at home much. 

I'll go into more detail about some of this when I get to posting my pix.

Note: Joe took all the pix in the post.  I'll do another post of my pix.



The resort is laid out sort of like a condo complex with two, four or more suites to a building.  The "higher end" suites are oriented toward this lagoon.  The lagoon is yukky green and I wouldn't want to actually touch the water - I'm pretty sure things go in there that we wouldn't want to know about!  But in the right light, or photo shopped, it looks great!  😎


Joe walked around to the other side of the lagoon and took these pix.  In the below pix:  Our room is in the blue building more or less in the center.  We were on the main floor on the right side.  The room was nice - nothing special, but certainly comfortable and had everything we needed.  And I really enjoyed the balcony.  The white building to the left is a restaurant - we ate there a number of times.





Above and below - both taken from our room, I believe.  Above, looking past the restaurant to the suites beyond and below a  straight on side shot of the restaurant.


Below, suites not on the lagoon.  It is an "adult only" resort and to be honest it sort of reminded me of a gated seniors complex!  Not sure if I'm ready for that yet!  I don't mind having kids around!!!!



The first night we went for a walk on the beach - that's me.


Below, sunset on the beach.



Above and below - we could see the sunset from our balcony, which is where these pix were taken.







Yellow crowned night heron above.  This guy hung out around our room most of the time during the day, then would fly off at night, presumably doing a bit of hunting.  We called him Charlie.  Don't actually know if Charlie is a "he" or a "she", but Charlie stuck.


And below - our version of a "selfie" - Joe set the timer on his camera.  Not bad actually....


Following:  some flora and fauna.  I have no idea what the name of any of these things are.  May take some time to look them up ... who am I kidding?








































And of course - some beach pix!  This is the beach off our hotel - it was really nice - soft white sand.  I went snorkeling down to that point where there were some fish and urchins.





Above - this barge would have been quite a ways out - the joy of a zoom lens.  We would see them quite often - along with other types of shipping and of course cruise ships.  One day we could see 4 cruise ships at the same time!


This is a restaurant on the beach.  Though oddly, it was only open in the evening after dark when we couldn't see the ocean view!  Not sure why.  It may have something to do with hurricane recovery but I'm just guessing and that really doesn't make much sense.





And of course, the cars Cuba is famous for.  Joe saw this one when he was out on his tour.  I wasn't with him so I actually did not see this.








1 comment:

Pamela said...

I enjoyed the photo tour! Great shots.

Saving my Blog Post